History of establishment
At the beginning of the establishment of Falak Syarie Unit, its function is carried out under the responsibility of Missionary, Selangor Islamic Religious Department (JAIS). The main role is to observe children who performed at the beginning of the month of Ramadan, Shawwal and Dhu al-Hijjah in collaboration with the Department of Survey and Mapping. In addition, the recent run other responsibilities such as determining the Qibla direction, Hijri calendar and the preparation of the hours of prayer.
However, the Islamic Development Department of Malaysia (Jakim) in its meeting on 20 September 1999 decided to place the Sharia Astronomy Division under the responsibility of the State Mufti Department throughout Malaysia including Selangor to streamline its administration.
Accordingly, the Selangor State Council has agreed to establish a Sharia Astronomy Division at the Selangor Mufti Department to totally take over the duties and responsibilities of the "Sharia Astronomy Unit" from the Selangor Islamic Religious Department (JAIS).
With the establishment of Sharia Astronomy Division, the initiatives undertaken are to appoint officials who are responsible to manage the division.
Therefore on 1 January 2001, the Selangor State Government appointed three (3) officers to serve in the Sharia Astronomy Division i.e. Islamic Affairs Officer (Grade S3), Islamic Affairs Assistant Officer (Grade S5) and Islamic Affairs Assistant (grade S7)
- Study in Sharia Astronomy can be carried out continuously according to current development.
- People can comprehensively understand the importance of Sharia Astronomy.
- All Sharia Astronomy activities can be coordinated systematically.
- To determine and verify the direction of Qiblah for mosques or suraus in Selangor.
- To perform Official New Moon observations (Ramadan, Shawwal, and Zulhijjah) and the monthly observation on the 29th day.
- Adjusting prayer times for zones in Selangor based on a formula set by JAKIM.
- Compiling and publishing Hijri Calendar, Prayer Time Calendar, Iftar schedule and Imsak time.
- Conduct Sharia Astronomy courses and seminars to enhance the knowledge and skills and create society’s interest in the field of Sharia Astronomy and Astronomy.
- Publish educational materials related to Sharia Astronomy and Astronomy
- Manage all meetings, conferences, exhibitions and training related to Sharia Astronomy.