Selangor Mufti Department originally was one of the divisions in the Selangor Islamic Religious Department. It was known as the Fatwa Division. However in 1996, the Public Service Department (PSD) issued a Circular on the separation of the Fatwa Division from the Selangor Islamic Religious Department. With that the Selangor Mufti Department was established located at Level 4, Podium Selatan, Bangunan Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah, Shah Alam. At the time, there were only two division i.e Administration/Finance Division and Istinbat Division i.e. the division related to Islamic affairs.
- The community can understand current issues related to Sharia law.
- Differences of opinion in khilafiah matters can be resolved in a prudent manner.
- All matters pertaining to meetings, conferences and seminars are dealt with in a systematic and orderly manner.
The Istinbat Division of Selangor Mufti Department performs the following functions: -
- Conduct research on issues requiring decisions of the Selangor Consultative Committee of Islamic Law (FATWA).
- Provide systematic information regarding problems pertaining to fatwas.
- Issue guidelines to overcome disagreements arising from khilafiah matters.
- Manage and conduct conferences, multaqa, seminars, workshops and all relevant meetings.
- Spreading fatwas that have been decreed by the Consultative Committee of Islamic Law (FATWA) as a guidance for Muslims.
- Develop methodology aspects for Istinbat and Fatwa.